The following brief video/audio is of the organ which was installed in St. John's in 1885 as a gift from James Kitson of Elmete Hall and refurbished in June 2003 in Loving Memory of William Bernard Lindley.
The first organ in the church was a barrel organ played by turning a handle. A small organ was later installed in the gallery which was eventually replaced in 1885 when the chancel was extended. The new two manual instrument with 24 stops was built by Foster and Andrews of Hull who are renowned for their fine organs.
Over the years, the organ was modernized, a mechanical blower was installed in 1938 and it was rebuilt in 1951. Unfortunately, it deteriorated over the years requiring a fund to be established for its refurbishment to occur in stages. In 2003 the refurbishment was completed with the generous gift from the Lindley family in Memory of William Bernard Lindley who had been a churchwarden in St. John's between 1953 and1964.
This video/audio is courtesy of Mr. Peter Oldfield via Oakwood Church which has no link to Roundhay St. John's